First held in 1992, hosted in the United States of America, the World Administrators Summit (WA-Summit) is a global meeting of administrative and office professionals and their associations. It has been held every two to four years in 8 countries, with 2018 in Frankfurt Germany being the 10th WA-Summit.
It brings together the best and brightest minds in the profession today. The WA-Summit is committed to its purpose of guiding, influencing and positively developing the profession. The delegates from each country discuss topics of importance to all administrative professionals and develop credible outcomes which are shared around the world. See our Fact One-pager.
The outcomes from each summit also contribute to our World Action Plan entitled Administra. In 2006 The Australian Institute of Office Professionals (AIOP) recommended to the Delegates present, and they agreed, that our new World Action Plan be called Administra to honour all Administrative Professionals.
We encourage you to read all the available information on this website and share it with your Association’s members and fellow administrative professionals. Ensure your country participates in this international working summit. This is your own and your country’s opportunity to be heard. This can be done through: providing topics of importance to you for the Agenda, reading all the material produced and providing feedback, and sending delegates (each country may now send up to five) to represent your country’s views in the discussions being held at the next summit.
The 2018 10th WA-Summit Delegates requested a more resilient formal structure to provide leadership and advocacy. This has been provided with the new WA-Alliance
If you would like your country to host future WA-Summits (after 2024) please complete the form Call for Bids, forward to the Council Chair and attend the Summit to present your case.
Creation of the World Administrators Alliance
The WA-Summit Advisory Council – Future Task Force worked for 18 months to develop the requested structure ready for endorsement at the 30/31 August 2020 Business Meeting.
The Task Force was led by Co-Chairs:
- Veronica Cochran, USA
- Eth Lloyd, New Zealand, (former Advisory Council Chairman 2015-2020)
With Task Force Members:
- Diana Brandl, Germany
- Melissa Mahoney, USA
- Lucy Brazier, UK
- Dawn Becker, Canada
- Megan Hall, USA
- Helen Monument. The Netherlands
- Barrett Shaw, USA
- Jesse Egeonu, Nigeria
- Lizzie Jean-Nandjui, France
- Advisor – Melba Duncan, USA
During 2020 the Delegates from 2018 were consulted on the type of structure being considered and the name of “World Administrators Alliance”. Their input enabled finalising of the Bylaws, and Incorporation was completed in April 2020.
The new model provides – What?
A formal structure – a non-profit trade (profession) association under the name World Administrators Alliance. A non-profit trade association is an organisation founded and funded by associations and/or organisations representing a specific industry, in this case administrative professionals.
Advantages & benefits of this structure – Why?
Provides a formal structure, operated under United States business laws and requirements, will:
- allow for a sustainable funding model
- provide a sustainable governance model
- provide formal bylaws to dictate governance parameters
- provide formal leadership positions with required global representation
- provide a consistent currency and fund management system
Check out the following documents:
- WA-Summit Advisory Council – Future report
- 2018 WASummit Delegate Communication – future
- 2019 Future Model WASummit Advisory Council – Consultation Document
- 2019 WA-Alliance Diagram Vs 2
The consultation document resulted in various questions. We answered these under FAQs.
WA-Summit Advisory Council 2006 – 2020
The Advisory Council was formed in 2006 and until August 2020 managed the between summit periods and the next WA-Summit. A Terms of Reference were developed which set out the make-up of the Advisory Council and roles it undertook. All those who worked on the Advisory Council did so voluntarily and the structure depended on the goodwill, dedication and passion of a few people internationally.
The Advisory Council was made up of representatives from various regions around the world:
- The Chairman was Eth Lloyd (AAPNZ) 2015 – 2020, New Zealand
- the Co-Convenors of the 11th WA-Summit in Wellington were Alison McKessar (AAPNZ), New Zealand and Ursula Wartha (IMA), Germany
- the regional representatives were shown in the Advisory Council Members document.
From 2015 the Advisory Council also managed the Task Forces working on the various outcomes from the 2015 and 2018 WA-Summits in Papua New Guinea and Germany. The Task Forces from 2018 were:
- International Credentialing – Wendy Rapana (New Zealand) and Cathy Harris (South Africa)
- International Networking/LinkedIn Group – Silvia Salomon (Italy)
- Image of the Profession – White Paper – Eleni Rizikianou (Greece), and Templates (tools to assist you) – Karin Helene (Sweden) and Vania Alessi (Italy)
- Workplace Harassment – Susan Engelbrecht (South Africa)
- Skills Set Matrix – Vicki Faint (New Zealand)
- Updating Administra – Eth Lloyd (New Zealand)
- WA-Summit Advisory Council – Future – Veronica Cochran and Eth Lloyd.